It has been a truly mammoth week for pop: Steps reunited in spectacular form; Charli XCX dropped a 10-track mixtape/opus; Nicki Minaj appeared out of nowhere with 3 brand new tracks, ranging from standard to stunning …and that’s not even the half of it.
In the spirit of that ‘#FridayFeeling’ and because there are just too many great new pop tracks this week to remain unheard, I’ve compiled a 10-track playlist known as ‘The Pop Scribe 10’. The playlist collects my favourite pop cuts from the past week and will be updated weekly, bi-weekly or maybe even monthly depending on the state of things in Pop Land. The playlist isn’t in order of best to second best, but you can usually assume that the first track is a veritable masterpiece. I’m also a strong believer in playlists sequenced like albums, meaning STAY OFF THAT SHUFFLE button and enjoy the shift in tone and atmosphere. (You can, of course, enjoy the music however you please – it’s fine.)
The first ever Pop Scribe 10 includes:
- 3 appearances from Charli XCX in pop domination-mode
- Steps well and truly pulling it out of the bag
- ionnalee stepping out of the mystery of iam and into banger territory
- A thrillingly dark and gnarly slice of new Goldfrapp
- Louisa Johnson on her best behaviour, but also very much not.
- Reflective, wooziness from Nicki Minaj
- Lorde: the balladeer
- Little Dragon channeling the sweeter side of the 90s